Thursday, January 17, 2013

Beyond Ordinary


"Time+ unintentionality= ordinary marriage"  that is such a true statement spoken by the Davis's. I am guilty of letting my marriage be on the back burner.  I am so intent on being a good parent and taking care of the needs of my children, that to be honest I really don't have much left for my spouse.  I am intentional at my role as a mother and unintentional at my role as a wife.  As a member of the special needs parenting community, I realize that my marriage is at an even higher risk for ending in divorce.  Why?  Because the constant stress of having a child who is chronically sick or needs constant care is exhausting and taxing.  Marriages are hard work and when you have nothing left at the end of the day well..........
 

Which is why I am so happy to have been picked to receive and review the following book by Tyndale House

 
Cover: Beyond Ordinary
 
 Beyond Ordinary by Justin and Trisha Davis is all about making your marriage more. (click that link and watch the amazing video about the book)  I am honored to say I attend church were Justin is one of the pastors and Trisha leads worship many Sundays.  I have heard parts of their story in sermons in the past and been able to watch them interact with each other for years.  However reading their book, was like walking the rocky path their marriage took with them. 
 
The way they wrote the book in a he said, she said format really makes it read more fiction like then nonfiction.  However, you are very aware that the story they are sharing is real and is their story.  I was so drawn into the story from the first word on page one till the last period on page 219! The amazing way they were able to integrate the teaching parts into each chapter really keeps the flow going and really helped one tie their story into your own journey to make your marriage better. 
 
I admit I do not really like many marriage books, they normally only share one side of the story or have only one view point.  I normal finish the book and think to myself I wonder what a woman would say or do, or I wonder what a male would do?  However, Beyond Ordinary has both the male and female view point in one location.  You are given both sides of the story, and that makes this the best marriage book I have ever read!  No marriage is just one person, there are always two and having both parts of the story written together make so much more sense. 
 
Their story is not a perfect fairytale, but it does have a fairytale type ending.  God used their pain to bring about healing and rejuvenation.When they came out of the ashes of healing through God, they were lead to seek married couples and help them to no longer have an ordinary marriage.  God does not want us to be ordinary!  They now spend a majority of their time with their marriage ministry refineus .  "God doesn't want to improve your marriage; he wants to transform it"
 
So download or pick up a copy of Beyond Ordinary and visit refineus.  I pray that you allow God to use both as tools to lead you into the marriage He visioned for us long before we were even born.  Thank you Justin and Trisha for sharing your journey and sharing the truth of God's word  you learned along the way.  My marriage also thanks you! 


1 comment:

Justin and Trisha Davis said...

Rachel, thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement. Thank you for investing in our book and story and sharing that with your readers. We really appreciate it! -Justin