Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Confessions of a Raging Perfectionist

Something I have recently started doing is writing book reviews for Tyndale House Publishing.  It is fun and a great way to read some amazing new books as they are released. I love to read books! I recently started to look for more books that can help me have a better walk with God and learn more about my self.  This book did both those things in a very easy to follow and read format.

 Confessions of a Raging Perfectionist by Amanda Jenkins is the book.  The title just spoke to me on so many levels.  I can sometimes lean towards OCD/perfection seeking.  Okay to be honest I mostly lean towards those two things.  So, I was interested in what Amanda would have to say and how I could learn to turn from that and turn more towards God.  I loved the book from the start.  I loved how she basically writes it like a journal, including a stat like list at the beginning of each chapter that sets the chapter's topic up.  It really felt like I was reading her personal journal.  She lays so much of her own life out there and her own struggles in her walk of faith.

Take a sneak peak right here of chapter one and see what I mean. Chapter One Sneak Peak

I will say the chapter on Diet Coke being a vice hurt a little, I never thought of my diet coke drinking as something that takes me away from leaning on God.  But what she says in that chapter is right about vices of any type "they shouldn't be a substitute for relying on God, and they shouldn't supersede the needs of people around me."  Sometimes diet coke and long bubble baths can be more important then time with God and that is not right.  No, I don't have to stop those things but they should not be more important then quiet time and prayer time.

I really enjoyed reading her journey and I have some new insight into my own issues with trying to be perfect and some new tips for my faith walk.  I think you would also enjoy to read this book and learning more about Amanda.  Check out some of her author Q and A!

Thanks to Tyndale House Publishers for the complimentary copy of this book.  It is a great read for anybody who is struggling with thoughts that they should be perfect.  God does not call us to be perfect, just forgiven.


No comments: