Friday, April 3, 2015

A book review

I enjoy getting to be one  of Tyndale House's blog reviewers.  I mean getting free books to read is a dream come true for a book lover by me.  Normally we get a list to choose from and I love to pick historical romances or books for the kids.  This month I went for the historical romance and was intrigued by the settting of the dust bowl.  However, it was not your normal christian romance.....

On Shifting Sand by Allison Pittman is at times a hard book to read.  Reading about such a dark period of time, where people could be buried alive by dirt mere feet from their house, and where kids had to wear mask to and from school to not inhale dirt that was constantly flying around, is not easy to read.  Then, when you add the internal struggle of an exhausted mom/wife, it gets even harder.  But the book is a beautiful story that shows that even when things seem dead and crumbling beneath your feet, there is life and forgiveness still there.

However, I was slowly drawn into the sad and beautiful story with the words of the narrator.  I love having it from the view of the women.  The reader hears and reads her every thought and feeling.  It makes the story come alive.  The writing is so good, you can actually taste the dirt as you read about the storms.

As I mentioned it is not your normal love story.  There is more darkness, then flowers and sunshine, but it does not end in the darkness.  Forgiveness is woven beautifully throughout the story.  Forgiveness from God and from earthly man himself.  Goodness/forgiveness wins in the end, but it is a dark road till then.  I would say more but you need to read the book and learn for yourself.

If you would like to read mine or other's views on this wonderful book check out my Amazon Review here:
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher, Tyndale House. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments: